Friday, May 28, 2010

Thursday, May 27, 2010







I was lucky enough to be asked to chaperone Quinn's Forensic's Club field trip today. We went to the National Crime and Punishment Museum in DC. It's one of the few places we haven't been to yet, so it was pretty exciting. The kids took part in solving a fake murder. They had to test blood splatter patterns (red paint) to try to determine a murder weapon, learned about DNA and the role it plays in solving crimes. They learned how to lift fingerprints, and the 4 key elements that make up the different designs. They also had a chance to take a shoe print casting (Quinn got to play the role of the suspect Veronica, and left a foot print at a crime scene). I think we'll take a trip back with Ken this summer. I'd like to be able to spend more time really exploring the different exhibits.

P.S. Turns out Veronica killed her boyfriend, Fred, with a screwdriver. Her DNA (and a footprint) was all over the place!

1 comment:

  1. now this is the kind of field trip I'd like to go on. I bet all the kids had a blast.

    ReplyDelete